Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Pack N Go - Saint Lucia Channel Swim Part II


Though I've swum several marathon distance events, swimming the St. Lucia Channel was new for all of us and we used the resources of the Marathon Swimming Federation website and advice from experienced marathon swimmer friends to prepare for the swim and ensure we complied with MSF rules. Both Sue and I watched the online videos from a swimmer observation workshop and we discussed plans – everything from starting points, to crew roles and responsibilities, to “what-if” scenarios and observer log notes.

We set our swimming window for the week of May 14, 2018 – most likely May 15, 16 or 17. Bruce said the trade winds normally died down a bit from March and April. Paul and I bought our plane tickets and made hotel reservations at a charming little hotel near the Rodney Bay Marina, where our support boat was docked.

During the early months of the year, I was extremely busy at work, planning a new international conference with partners at the World Bank in Washington DC in addition to the normal chaos of my communications role at the Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute. I was also worried about my brother, who has been fighting cancer with chemo treatments for the past year. Fortunately, he has been responding well to chemo and the cancer has shrunk, but it's still there. The swim training gave me an outlet for stress and the channel goal gave me something positive and exciting to focus on.

During the week, I'd swim 4500 to 5500 yards a day and put in longer hours on weekends, like 4 hours on Saturday and another 6 hours on Sunday. I gradually increased the yardage as I got closer to the channel swim date, but was careful not to overdue it so I wouldn't damage my shoulders. I did one weekend with back-to-back 6 hour swims and had a few other swims in the 6 to 7 hour range, but didn't log 10 and 12-hour swims like I did when training for the English Channel. I was consistent with swim practices and visited a chiropractor when my left shoulder was getting pinchy, which made a huge difference. I also ate well, avoiding sugar and sleazy cheap carbs. I finally dropped the 12 pounds of channel fat I'd been dragging around for the past four years!

In late April 2018, I wrote up a channel swimming plan with details on what needed to be done when and by whom and shared it with Paul, Sue and my friend and marathon swimming super star Suzie Dods to get their feedback. I also asked channel swimmer Ranie Pearce if I could borrow her Sharkbanz, a magnetized band you can wear on your wrists or ankles that is supposed to repel sharks. I love the support of the marathon swimming community!

Finally, the time arrived for our trip and we packed like maniacs the night before we left since we both had to work right up to our departure. I brought a pair of jeans, hiking pants, 2 pairs of long yoga pants and just one pair of shorts. WTH? At least I had all of my swimming gear.

We arrived in St. Lucia on Saturday, May 12, and Paul drove our rental jeep across the island to Rodney Bay. They drive on the left in St. Lucia and there are huge, deep gutters between the street and the curb or sidewalk. It’s more of a moat than a gutter. And traffic is crazy with drivers dashing between each other to avoid people, dogs, chickens, goats and whatnot. I was sure we were going to dive into one the gutters, breaking the axle of our rental car. I had a good old fashioned panic attack and Paul had to pull over so I could slow down my hyperventilating and wipe the tears off my face. Guess I was tired. Maybe a little anxious.


We made it to the Ginger Lily Hotel without hitting a gutter or anything – or anyone –and quickly unpacked our bags so we could relax. The hotel was even lovelier in person than in the TripAdvisor photos with a pretty pool surrounded by a lush garden. Reduit beach was a short walk across the street. We were too pooped to meet up with Sue, so we agreed to meet the next day.



On Sunday, Paul and I met Sue and Wes, my kayaker. Wes and I practiced swimming and feeding from the kayak. The water was perfect! The temperature was probably about 80 and the most beautiful blue I’d ever seen. Lots of colorful little fish darted around near the bottom and I enjoyed swimming for a little over an hour.

On Monday evening, we had our crew meeting. Bruce and his wife Kim and their kids joined us, along with a gentleman I assumed was a crew member. Bruce introduced Martin Thomas, explaining that Martin would serve as the captain of our support boat since he had more experience with “non-fishing” excursions. I trusted Bruce and figured if he felt Martin was better suited for the job, that was fine by me. I enjoyed talking with Martin after dinner and learning about his career path, from being the son of a poor farming couple, to learning the ropes of charter boat sailing to becoming one of the best fishing guides in St. Lucia.



Other support crew members included Nathaniel Waring, the co-director of the St. Lucia Channel swimming event in July, who would take photos and support swim, if needed; Wes Moses, kayaking; Thalia Bergasse, first aid; her mom Lily Bergasse, crew hand; and Sue Dyson, observer. And, of course, Paul, who knows me and my swimming style better than anyone.

Sue read the MSF rules aloud and I answered a few questions. Bruce said Wednesday looked to be the best day of the week for good weather. The winds had been higher than we expected, around 18-20 knots, and we were hoping they would die down by Wednesday.

Tuesday we prepared for the swim, gathering groceries for the crew and getting my feeds lined-up. Paul made a huge stack of PBJs. The hotel staff kindly boiled up some sweet potatoes for me so we could mash them up with coconut water for mushy feeds. I measured out the Carbo Pro with juice and tea for the liquid feeds. We were both tired from all the activity and actually slept pretty well from 7:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. when we woke up to get to the marina.

Sue had distributed a news story about my background before I arrived that appeared in a couple of news magazines: 
And she lined up an inteview with one of the St. Lucia TV stations:

No comments:

Post a Comment